Wineries and breweries get the benefit of the wine and beer producer’s licence. The wine and beer producer’s licence allows:
- sale for drinking at your business of both your alcohol and others’ alcohol
- take away sales of your alcohol
- internet/phone/mail sales
- sale at a promotional event (subject to some conditions, which aren’t that onerous)
- wholesale sale of your own products (pretty critical)
Getting a good distribution network is a key to growth.
Distribution agreements ought to cover (at least):
- how the alcohol is supplied
- how you get paid and what security you get for payment
- whether the distributor gets any exclusive regions
- any targets the distributor is required to hit
Wineries, breweries and distilleries are up for a class 3 food safety registration no matter what. That will cover the business up to selling pre-packaged cheeses and the like.
If there’s any intention to start handling cheese or serving meals, you’ll need a class 2 food safety registration.
How Whites Legal can help
We have a wealth of information on the legal issues for wineries, breweries and distilleries, and how Whites Legal can help your business.
Not interested in reading? Get in touch.