Wineries, breweries & distilleries

Wineries, breweries & distilleries 2017-06-01T13:06:08+10:00

Liquor licensing

Wineries and breweries get the benefit of the wine and beer producer’s licence.  The wine and beer producer’s licence allows:

  • sale for drinking at your business of both your alcohol  and others’ alcohol
  • take away sales of your alcohol
  • internet/phone/mail sales
  • sale at a promotional event (subject to some conditions, which aren’t that onerous)
  • wholesale sale of your own products (pretty critical)


Getting a good distribution network is a key to growth.

Distribution agreements ought to cover (at least):

  • how the alcohol is supplied
  • how you get paid and what security you get for payment
  • whether the distributor gets any exclusive regions
  • any targets the distributor is required to hit

Snacks as well?

Wineries, breweries and distilleries are up for a class 3 food safety registration no matter what. That will cover the business up to selling pre-packaged cheeses and the like.

If there’s any intention to start handling cheese or serving meals, you’ll need a class 2 food safety registration.

Find out more about food safety registration

How Whites Legal can help

We have a wealth of information on the legal issues for wineries, breweries and distilleries, and how Whites Legal can help your business.
Not interested in reading? Get in touch.

Let’s get you started

Contact us by email
Call us on 1300 797 512