Bars 2017-06-01T13:06:09+10:00

Liquor licensing

Bars will likely need an on-premises licence.

If you’re looking to trade beyond 1am, you’ll need a late night on-premises licence. (Bad news if you’re opening in Melbourne, Docklands, City of Port Phillip, City of Yarra or City of Stonnington: there’s a freeze on more businesses getting a late night licence.)

Food registration? Quite likely

In most cases, you’ll need food registration. The class varies, depending on what you’re looking to serve. The higher the class, the more hoops to jump through.

  • Eggs will tip you into class 2. That includes making a superb gin fizz.
  • Serving cheese will keep you in class 3.
  • Beer nuts? Chips (or crisps, if you will)? If that’s all, class 4.


You’ll need to know how to deal with music as well. Background music is one thing, live music is another. It’s usually a condition of your liquor licence and your planning permit.

Paying for music is critical. It’s an expense, but trying to avoid paying for music is drastically expensive. We’ve listed a few cases where PPCA has sued venues not for paying the licence fee to play music.

How Whites Legal can help

We have a wealth of information on the legal issues for bars, and how Whites Legal can help your business.
Not interested in reading? Get in touch.

Let’s get you started.

Contact us by email
Call us on 1300 797 512